Poetry: Open Window


First published in Night Picnic Journal, Volume 1

Open Window

I left a window open
in case the thief of my heart
should ever come flying back.

When others knocked at my door,
I was slow to answer them,
for I was peering out at the night.

I hoped to see a shadow cross
the moon, a sign that my fidelity
had not been in vain.

Now I have watched for the shadow
so many years and I have spoken
with you through my closed door.

I've thought about letting you in.
I left a window open, you see,
because my heart flew out

with another one night. And you
deserve someone who has a heart
they can devote to you.

I will not lie and say that
you have not made me consider
forsaking my nightly post.

I left a window open,
but though I sometimes see
the shadow as it darts past me,

I have lingered here too long.
My chest has long since grown
used to the empty space.

I think about unlocking my door,
but I wonder if you could be happy
with one who leaves the window open.

Comments

Popular Posts