Poetry: Minor Revelation


the morning is soft upon me,
little more than mist filling my lungs
as I breathe in the sweet mountain air
and feel the cool of it on my skin

my bare feet on the wooden porch steps,
yet feeling like roots of a great tree
sinking down into ancient soil,
and feeling like the gargoyle freezing
back to stone with dawn’s light

stout coffee from a heavy china cup
stained with use and misuse,
as marked as the dry ground
under the soft shower of rain that
waters it, a gift from a gardener who
has been lax in their duty

the ground is too thirsty to complain
and gulps the rain down like a tonic
and everything turns green and
opens up as the sunlight filters through
the fog, and dances in speckled gold
against the brilliance of the day’s creation

and I am there breathing it in,
sipping my bitter brew and ruminating
on the events of the day before and
the tasks at hand for this new day

and feeling as though I am part of
something bigger than myself
it is a reminder that I am made of
threads woven together, that hold
everything in this world together

a minor revelation, as befits a small
and humble reveler of simple pleasures
who spilled wine in clumsy tribute to
Bacchus just the night before, a merry
and raucous occasion meant for
moonlight and deep woods and
a good front porch that faces the sunrise

Comments

Popular Posts