Poetry: Summerlight Child


I was born a girl in West Virginia
Outsiders teased me, called me
Coal miner’s daughter
As though such a label could
Define me

My father is not a coal miner
He is a musician and a carpenter
When I was a child, he carved
And formed the person
That I have become

There is no coal dust in my bones,
I do not toil beneath the ground
Or wash coal stained clothes
And care for my dying husband,
His lungs clogged

I was born in summer light
When all things have grown
And live in their golden time
I am a writer of songs
And also a singer

In the fair mountain weather
I have ridden a golden pony
Through an orchard of apples
Big as my child hands
And bigger still

Always, there is the growing,
Green world inside of me
For I was taught the mystery
Of growing things and
Of dead things

Of how all things change
And how they cycle together
One life thread weaving into
The next one and the next
And into myself

I am a flame that gives a beacon
And I am the touch that burns
And I am the tongue that cuts
But also I am the gentle hands
I am nurture and nature

Small things have come to me
For shelter and I have sheltered
They have come to me for kindness
And I have given kindness
They seek knowledge

I lead them to the great libraries
Where my own father stumbled
By himself, without aid
And where he led his children
My brothers and I

And so I was born in West Virginia
But I am not a coal miner’s daughter
I am the child of song and praise
Nature, music and creation
And peace and love

I am a contradiction, amalgamation
There is too much inside of me
Enough to drive me to madness
Or enough to show me through

To understanding

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are your mother's daughter! Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you - a Voice of West Virginian Humanity. Yes we have gentle hands.
    -Travis, born in Princeton, W.V.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts