Poetry: The Right Place


The Right Place

“I'm looking for a book,”
said the man, and his eye
roved around the room
as though he wasn't sure
that a bookstore was really
where he was supposed to be.

Though any person who
walked into a fast food restaurant
and said they were looking
for a hamburger might be met
with bewilderment, I could
not afford to lose a customer.

As such, I leaned forward
and I replied with a straight face,
“Well, you've come to the right place.”

A/N: I used to own a bookstore. I was looking through an old notebook the other day and found this gem I wrote down after it actually happened to me. I don't remember what the guy said after I responded (probably laughed) but it was not the first time someone walked into the store and said that phrase to me without elaborating further.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts