Poetry: Deserve


A/N: This poem appears in the zine "The Politics of Shelter," produced by Brackish Daughters and available for purchase on Etsy.

Deserve


I have a thousand words to say
about being a rural Appalachian
who always votes,

despite never seeing any positive
results in my home region
for my efforts, so

when you say I voted against
my interests, I suppose I can agree.
After all, I voted for Clinton

In the general election and what
Was she ever going to do to end
The generational poverty,

the lack of affordable healthcare,
the public apathy toward the lower
class, please.

I knew when I cast that vote
that I was wasting my time
but I had to try,

anything was better than the great
orange hope. So many of my people
did not vote at all,

too used to politicians making promises
they can't keep. Yet, you say that we
get what we deserve

for voting against ourselves.
We, who powered your homes
and helped keep

progress moving forward,
we who let you stand on our backs
to reach the sun while

our fathers gave it up to mine underground,
to feed us with the pennies they managed
to scrape together.

We deserve what we get, you say,
but I say that we have never gotten
what we deserve.

Comments

Popular Posts