Poetry: Front Porch Temple


A/N: This poem appears in the zine "The Politics of Shelter," produced by Brackish Daughters and available for purchase on Etsy.

Front Porch Temple

Call my front porch a temple,
yeah, a temple for the tired people,
the temple of the virgin priestess,
patron saint of lost soldiers and
lost dogs and lost imaginations.

Pull up a chair, painted green,
covered up oak and vintage rattan,
and join me in my open-air office.
We shall recite lines and smoke
cigarettes and gaze upon the scenery.

Time stops for me in this temple,
and for a while I can make it stop
for you too. I can make everything
better now, the consummate caretaker,
the one who sweeps out spiders

and cobwebs and other detritus
that clings to your mind, your soul,
I can turn the outside lights on
in the evening, like a revelation
shining on all your darkest corners.

Lay it at my feet like an offering.
I will sort it into folders, organized
and alphabetized, we all need this,
and do not know how to ask for it
but I know what you cannot explain.

Comments

Popular Posts